Wow, what a day it’s been….So I was pottering around at home, having a kick about in the garden with my eighteen month old son, okay he was kicking the ball at me whilst I was trying to hang some washing out, but still – there was a ball, grass and a fair amount of kicking involved, when…. I received an email from https://blog.feedspot.com/
Incredibly my blog page The Pregnancy Pantry had been selected by their panelists as one of the Top 20 UK Pregnancy Blogs on the web to follow in 2018 – WAHOOOOOOOOOOO.
Check out the write up in the below link: –
For anyone that doesn’t know, Feed spot is a content reader for those wanting to follow all their favourite blogs and news websites in one place, which is an excellent outlet for any bloggers out there who wish to expand their readership and get their blog some free exposure.
Now, whilst I fully acknowledge that this isn’t the National Blog Awards, it hasn’t stopped me jumping around the kitchen, driving my husband crazy with phrases such as ‘Award Winning Blogger and ‘Accomplished Writer’ being hollered around. Just a small recognition has been elevating.
Evidently, this has gone to my head and yes, I know I’m bound to fall off that rather high horse during the coming days, but for now I’m going to enjoy it and bask in my own self-indulgent glory.
Nonetheless, on a more reflective note – it really has confirmed for me that despite the ups and downs perseverance in blogging does indeed pay off.
I originally started this blogging thing when I was on maternity leave with my son which was only a year ago but seems like a lifetime now. Having studied journalism many moons ago, my love of writing never wavered but my commitment to pursue it sadly did. I also dabbled in gourmet catering, because, as you know I love to cook and eat (who doesn’t?)
My heart was in my mouth with nerves, trepidation and fear of being ridiculed the first time I hit that publish button, but now it feels comforting somehow, each time I create a new post it feels like coming back to an old friend and amazingly and unexpectedly the blogging community is so supportive of other bloggers.
So, I thought it would be advantageous to add my Top 10 Things You Need to Know About Blogging and not giving up.
Because, believe me, I know how hard it is, how frustrating it can be at times and how close I came in the early days to throwing the towel in and running away.
One of my all-time favourite quotes is:
“Success is the ability to go from failure to failure without losing your enthusiasm.” Sir Winston Churchill
Top 10 Things You Need to Know About Blogging and not giving up.
- Don’t fall into the trap of how many followers you have, in the beginning this really effected my confidence and ability to trust my worth.
- Have fun, more than anything love what you do, and you’ll do it well.
- Never compare yourself to others, everyone else is probably facing the same battles.
- Don’t’ overwhelm yourself with social media, ironically I’ve never been a fan of social media but despite it creating a generation of narcissistic, self-loving types; it’s also going to be your best friend for promotion of your site. It can be used in amazing and wonderful ways and so far, has been a major catalyst in getting my blog posts out to the world. Just don’t get too focused on it.
- Set some goals, one post a week, one post every two weeks, or just once a month, I have weeks where I don’t post and weeks where I post three blogs at once, but consistency is the key.
- In the words of Mark Twain – Write what you know. Choose a topic you’re passionate about. If you enjoy the content and the subject, you’ll enjoy the writing.
- Don’t’ focus too much on having a great blog, focus on having great content for your readers
- Do you remember your goals from when you started? When things aren’t going exactly as you want, think about your goals. If you give up now you will never achieve them.
- When you start a blog, you need the right mindset; building a successful blog takes an incredible amount of work.
- Finally remember, above all A person who never made a mistake never tried anything new.” Albert Einstein
Any bloggers out there that came close to giving up? Please pass on your wisdom to the rest of us.
I promise to post a delicious recipe tomorrow but I’m off to bed now to continue basking in my little world of triumph ha ha.