To say sweat, blood and tears have gone into perfecting this recipe would be a MASSIVE understatement. I have, on so many occasions tried to create a healthy chocolate brownie that is sweet, moist and rich in chocolate and on so many occasions I’ve failed miserably.
The plus side of writing a food blog is I get to be the tester girl that tries the recipes out. Tough life I know but I’m also my own biggest critic when it comes to perfecting the taste. So my go to proof once I think I have nailed the recipe is always my kids. With a custom in built ability to taste sweetness and relate that sweetness to deliciousness, I know if they love it I’m onto a winner.
I didn’t however dare mention that these were made with beetroot and I’m pretty sure my other taste tester – the husband would squirm if he knew, despite loving beetroot himself. I think he’d consider it a whole new level if I was to mention he’s chomping on the stuff in his brownies.
It is not however, that unusual to use beetroot in cake baking. Way back when foods were rationed during World War II, bakers would use boiled beetroot juice to enhance the colour of their cakes and beetroot is often used to retain moisture, which is why after countless testing I’ve finally managed to create a moist chocolate brownie that doesn’t take like cardboard.
And here’s a quick overview of the health benefits that these delicious morsels contain:
Beetroot is high in immune boosting vitamin C, fibre and essential minerals such as potassium which is essential for healthy nerve and muscle function. Manganese which is good for your bone, liver, kidney and pancreas and they contain a substantial about of the B vitamin folate which helps reduce the risk of birth defects.
A study published by Tommys shows that there is a possibility that beetroot juice may be used to treat fetal growth restriction.
Dates, in addition to their sweet taste have many health benefits, many of which are essential during pregnancy..
Protein: Protein consists of amino acid, which are the building blocks of your body. …
Fibre: It helps in maintaining a healthy digestive system and helps in dealing with pregnancy related constipation. They’re also rich in folate, iron, potassium, vitamin K and magnesium.
Wow; delish and healthy!!!
Enjoy and wishing you all an amazing bank holiday weekend! See you all soon.
The Pregnancy Pantry x
Beetroot and Chocolate Brownies
Chocolate Beetroot Brownies
- 115 / 4 Grams / oz Precooked Beetroot
- 100 / 3-1/2 Grams / oz Dark 80-90% Cocoa Chocolate
- 60 / 2 Grams / oz Butter
- 60 / 2 Grams / oz Natural Honey
- 70 / 2-1/2 Grams / oz Raw Cacao Powder
- 70 / 2-1/2 Grams / oz Self Raising Flour
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- 115 / 4 Grams /oz Chopped Walnuts
- 115 / 4 Grams /oz Chopped and Pitted Medjool Dates
- 2 Medium Sized Eggs
- 1. Preheat oven to 180°C / 350°F / Gas 6 and grease and line a 12 inch tray bake tin.2. Break up the chocolate and place into a heatproof bowl along with the honey and butter. Sit over a pan of barely simmering water (a bain marie) and allow the chocolate to melt, stirring occasionally,3. Meanwhile, chop the beetroot and add to your blender, add a tablespoon of water if too thick. Blend until it reaches a smooth consistency and set aside.4. If the chocolate has completely melted and a rich glossy mixture has formed, remove from the heat and set aside.5. In a separate bowl mix the flour, cocoa and baking powder together.6. Chop the walnuts and dates up and add to the flour mixture giving it a thorough mix, by doing this you’ll prevent any of walnuts and dates dropping to the bottom of the pan in the oven.7. Add the beetroot mixture to the chocolate and stir until completely combined.8. Whisk the eggs and pour slowly into the chocolate mixture and mix completely.9. Create a well in the dry mixture and slowly spoon in the wet mixture, be careful when mixing but ensure the mixture is combined.Pour you mixture into your prepared tray bake tin and place in the middle of the oven for 15-20 minutes or until a knife inserted into the middle of the brownie comes out completely clean.Once cooked leave to cool slightly before lifting out onto a large chopping board, Cut into equal squares and place on a wire rack.Enjoy x