What to do on a Sunday afternoon? Oh I know: bake bake bake.
I’ve been getting messy in the kitchen with my little one making these delicious chocolate brownies.
And why break the habit of a lifetime? These delicious brownies are sugar-free, dairy free and gluten free and are made with only four ingredients. Yep, you heard right.
Only four ingredients equals a piece of cake to make ( man I’m on fire today lol) and they only take 30 minutes tops from start to on your plate, or as my daughter so delightfully put it, in your gob.
However, they do come with a warning: these are so good there is a small risk of over consumption, resulting in a need to sit on the sofa all afternoon in a chocolate induced coma. However, don’t panic – this should pass within the hour.
I used medium ripe bananas for today’s baking. You may notice that most recipes using bananas will call for over ripe ones and this is because they’re easier to digest but mainly because over ripe bananas are sweeter.
Unripe bananas are full of complex carbohydrates but as they ripen the starch changes to simple sugars which isn’t bad when using them to bake with but they may give you a quicker sugar high as the glycemic index will be higher. So any ladies suffering with gestational diabetes you may want to use less ripened bananas when baking. The brownies won’t be as sweet but I promise they’ll still be delicious.
- 5 large medium or over ripe bananas.
- 1/2 cup of natural peanut butter. I like the variety with no palm oil and no added sugar. So just check the labelling but hey if all you’ve got is regular peanut butter in the cupboard it’ll still taste amazing so don’t fret too much.
- 1/4 cup of raw cacao powder / cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup of chocolate protein powder.
- Preheat oven to 180C and grease and line a square 12 inch baking tray
- Mash bananas together, don’t worry if lumpy, this just means you’ll get delicious bites of bananas in your brownies
- Add the rest of the ingredients and stir until completely combined
- Bake in the oven for 15 minutes and remove. Score out your brownies in the tray and leave to cool for 10 minutes before removing to a wire rack
Stick the kettle on and make yourself a cup of tea, grab a plate and brownie and retreat to the sofa to enjoy..
Whatever you’re all up to, Have a great week everyone.