Guess what? We’re back to my favourite oats again….. You just can’t go wrong with them.
They contain a substantial amount of dietary fibre which helps regulate your digestive system throughout pregnancy and they’re also a beneficial source of potassium which aids blood pressure, anxiety and stress as well as enhancing your metabolism, water balance and electrolytic function which makes these Granola Bars the ideal go to snack throughout pregnancy.
I can’t conceivably write a short extract on the benefits of flaxseed; it would warrant a whole blog post but each tablespoon of ground flaxseed contains about 1.8 grams of plant omega 3 Lignans which have both plant estrogen and antioxidant qualities plus as you know from previous posts I’m a massive advocate of ground flaxseed for aiding the digestive system.
So below is my amazing recipe for Apple Crumble Granola Bars which are gluten-free, dairy free and sugar-free and they smell incredible whilst they’re baking too.
Makes approximately 15
- 2 Cups of Rolled Gluten Free Oats ( normal rolled oats can also be used )
- 1 Cup of mixed nuts roughly chopped and dried fruit of your choosing. Raisins, cranberries, apricots etc
- 1/4 Cup of Ground Almonds
- 2 Tbsp of Ground Flaxseed / Linseed
- 1 cup of apple puree ( 3 large Granny Smith Apples yields approximately 1 cup)
- 1 tsp of cinnamon
- 2 tsp of mixed spice
- 5 tablespoons of cold pressed coconut oil ( butter can be used as a replacement )
- 3 tbsp of milled chia seeds
- 1/4 cup of honey
- Pre-heat the oven to 150°C and line a 20cms square baking tin with parchment paper
- Peel, core and chop the apple into small chunks and heat on a low heat with 5 tbsp of water and the cinnamon and mixed spice for approximately 15 minutes until soft enough to be able to form a puree. I used my NutriBullet to puree the apple once cooked.
- In a separate saucepan melt the coconut oil or butter and honey adding the apple puree to the mix once melted
- In a large bowl add all the dry ingredients and give them a big stir to combine
- Pour the apple and coconut oil mix into the dry ingredients and combine well
- Press the mixture into the prepared tin and flatten down with the back of a metal spoon.
- Bake in the oven for 45 minutes until golden brown
- Leave to cool completely before turning out onto a large board and slice into bars.
- Enjoy with a cup of tea with your feet up.